Building Confidence & Self Esteem
Hockey is for Everyone, Including Special Needs Individuals
The Warrior Hockey Program is designed to build confidence, self-esteem and dependability while allowing parents to relax, network and enjoy cheering on their hockey hero! Kids with special needs will be thrilled to discover that they too can learn to play hockey with one-on-one coaching and mentoring.
valley warriors hockey
“As a parent with a child who has special needs, I know firsthand how difficult and challenging it is to find activities and programs that are geared to his abilities. After learning about Ottawaâ€™s hockey program (Ottawa Police Association Special Hockey Heroes) and speaking to the organizer Jeff Kelly, I felt we needed to start a program here in â€śHockey Townâ€ť Pembroke.”
The Valley Warrior Hockey Program is part of The GRIND Pembrokeâ€™s Youth Services, a charitable, not-for-profit organization. Children from 5â€“12 years of age with autism, intellectual disabilities and other developmental disabilities are all welcome, regardless of hockey or skating ability.
To allow all players with disabilities the opportunity to experience the game of hockey in a fun, supportive and family-friendly environment. Our dedicated staff of Police, Fire fighters, Paramedics and community members will assist in developing and enhancing playerâ€™s hockey skills, focus on team work, cooperation, socialization and the value of therapeutic activity.
Costs & Equipment
Registration fee is $250/yr for 1st child, $150/yr for 2nd child, $100/yr for 3rd child. If you require assistance, contact us at email@example.com.
The Valley Warriors are working to make hockey more accessible to disadvantaged youth all across the valley by collecting gently used and new hockey equipment. Equipment donations of all sizes are welcome including hockey sticks, skates, shin pads, hockey pants, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, goalie equipment and helmets. Please note, helmets must have a valid, unexpired CSA sticker.
- The Warrior Hockey Program is part of The GRIND Pembrokeâ€™s Youth Services, a charitable, not-for-profit organization
- The Valley Warriors will begin their inaugural season September 2018.
- The Valley Warriors team is a hockey program for individuals with developmental disabilities and is open to children ages 5 â€“ 12 yrs from Renfrew County.
- The Valley Warriors hockey program will focus on skill development, socialization, behavior, and interaction with fellow players who have a range of disabilities.
- The Valley Warriors will play games against the Ottawa Police Association Special Hockey Heroes (OPASHH) and possibly play in a year end tournament in Rochester NY.
- The Valley Warriors will play every Saturday afternoon, starting in September and ending in March.
- The Valley Warriors will assist players and families with equipment needs and will maintain an inventory of gently used and new equipment.
- Full hockey protective gear is mandatory at all times on the ice.
- Registration for the year is $250/yr for 1st child, $150/yr for 2nd child, $100/yr for 3rd child (this includes liability insurance through â€śI Play Hockeyâ€ť).
- Maximum of 20 players will be allowed on the ice, the ice will be divided in half and players separated by skill level. Kids should have some skating ability.
- The Valley Warriors Coaching and Volunteer staff will consist of Police, Fire, Paramedics and Community members. Parents are not required to be on the ice, they become hockey parents!
- Parents MUST be with their child for every Valley Warriorâ€™s function.
The Valley Warrior Hockey Program will give players an opportunity to play hockey in a safe, fun and supportive environment that is adapted to their individual ability so they can be part of a team that otherwise would not exist.